The Switch isn’t short of retro-inspired action RPGs, but that doesn’t mean we don’t have room for more if they can offer fun and creativity. Toasty: Ashes of Dusk, developed by Pocket Llama, will arrive in the second half of 2023 and cites the likes of Final Fantasy, EarthBound and The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past as sources of inspiration.
Though the trailer shows a game that’s still relatively early in development, there’s plenty of creativity and style on show. Pleasingly the Switch is getting a good focus in the game’s successful Kickstarter campaign, including confirmation and pre-orders on a physical edition.
Overall, it’s a title that looks set to offer variety and intrigue; below are some official details:
- Engage in an exciting journey that will take you across all of Geldia; explore a diverse world filled with unique NPCs, dungeons, and enemies
- Use your marshmallow form to your advantage! Burn, stick, roll, and squish your way through all sorts of sticky, perilous situations… or to just hoodwink bosses!
- Help the inhabitants of Geldia regain their hope by completing side-quests. A surprising selection of mini-games that totally transcend different genres will keep you on your toes!
- Unlock new abilities and items allowing you to complete dungeons, puzzles and access previously inaccessible areas
- A loving tribute to Earthbound, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, and Final Fantasy
Let us know what you think, as always, in the comments.