Last year we shared details of Chrono Trigger, a deckbuilding roguelike from Mojo Bones, the developers of excellent 3DS eShop title Siesta Fiesta. It’s now changed name to City Wars: Tokyo Reign, and has an extensive overview trailer that highlights how it’ll work.
As you can see it has its own spin on the genre, opting for a timeline UI approach and a battlefield that evolves and keeps you on your toes; it’ll also have over 140 cards to obtain and will be a premium title (not free-to-play with microtransactions).
– STRATEGY MEETS ACTION A fresh take on a classic genre. Dynamic track-based battlefield where tactile mechanics meet turn-based card battling.
– FROM BEGINNER TO WINNER CITY WAR’S rules can be learned in minutes, opening the doors for players of all ages and skill levels. Strong customisation and a complex meta provide long-term depth, making it much harder to master.
– ENDLESS CHOICE Design your own COMBAT CASE from over 140 CARDS (across 5 categories), 20 GUNS (with stat modifiers) and over 25 CHARMS (each with battle-altering perks).
– DISTRICT RUN A deep Roguelike single-player mode where you’ll build a collection, make key decisions and battle across 5 procedurally generated Districts. Will you survive the elusive SHADOW DISTRICT and conquer the city?
– DISTRICT WAR A competitive online multiplayer experience where you’ll test your COMBAT CASE against other players from across the globe. Can you raise your BOUNTY high enough to become the city’s most wanted?
– WAYS TO PLAY Casual and competitive multiplayer. Battle online or utilise CITY WAR’S unique design to fight locally.
It has a Steam page already ahead of an upcoming beta, and is still also coming to the Switch.
Let us know what you think; is this on your radar for Switch?